Friday, January 29, 2010

Repent and Follow

Jesus begins His public ministry and His first words are, “Repent” and then “Come follow me.” Repent is, of course, turning away from. Away from what? Sin, certainly, and a turning towards God. But more broadly, a turning away from our own way. The first disciples called had to turn away from their nets, their profession, their way of life – the way of life that they had always known. Their way of doing life. Those early disciples were called to physically leave their lives, and follow Christ. Most of us are called spiritually to leave our former way of life, and turn in a new direction. Peter and Andrew left a life whose primary focus was the physical realm – a profession which provided for their families, which met physical needs and embarked on a life whose focus was spiritual – “I will make you fishers of men.” When we repent, and turn toward Him, the purpose of our lives is raised from a mere physical survival, to the higher plain of spiritual purpose. It may mean that when I wash the dishes or vacuum once more, it is not merely a physical act, but one of obedience that serves a spiritual purpose – one of serving my family, of loving my family as Christ loved us, of setting aside my desires (maybe to read or shop or sit) in order to meet the needs of those around me. Is this over-spiritualizing life? I don’t think so. For what did Jesus show us when he came to earth? He invaded our very world, walked in the dirty dust with us, broke bread and ate among us, set His hands to the same daily tasks as us, and said He did nothing except what He saw the Father doing. All our acts take on a Holy significance when we are surrendered to Christ. But what is the Way? The early Believers were called followers of the Way. What exactly does that mean for us today? “Follow me,” Christ calls daily – where are we going? The cross – the way of Christ was headed straight toward the Cross. And He beckons us Come. What is the Cross, but denial of self – it is the death of all that is me, and an awakening of all that is Him. It is hard, it is painful – it is contrary to every fiber of my being, to all my wants, even my needs, to every natural desire, to my will. It takes a conscious act of the will to say, “not my will, but Thine.” So the call to us is to come and follow Him today. Leave behind your way of doing life, and enter into His Life. Sit at His feet and hear His Words. Let him teach you the Way. The Way in this moment, this day, and then follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment